Bourbon Peach Southern Sweet Tea
Things are heating up at Picán as we head into the “dog days” of summer! With this summer’s unusual weather pattern feeling a lot more like the South than we’re used to here in the Bay Area, here’s a cool recipe that will have you settling comfortably into a lounge chair on the patio! And, of course, it’s all about peaches…and bourbon…our bridge between wrapping up Picán’s PeachFest 2015 and September’s start of National Bourbon Month!
Start your batch of bourbon peach infusion now and you’ll be enjoying a refreshing batch of Bourbon Peach Southern Sweet Tea before this first weekend in August is over! And while you’re waiting on your peach infusion, come on in to Picán for peachy cocktails and one of our great peach menu items before the end of July (Friday!) because it will be a year until PeachFest 2016!!
- 4 Large ripe peaches + 1 peach for garnish
- 4 Cups bourbon
- 8 regular bags black tea
- 1 Cup Light brown sugar, packed
- Fresh, grilled peach slices and lemon spirals, for serving
- To make bourbon-infused peaches, peel peaches by submerging whole peaches in boiling water for about 1 minute. Transfer immediately to ice bath to stop cooking process. The skin will separate from the peach, allowing you to easily slip skins off. Chop into large chunks and place in 4-cup mason jar (or any container that can be closed tightly)
- Pour bourbon over peach chunks (enough to reach 4 cup line, or as much as you can fit into jar). Secure lid tightly and store in a dark, cool place for up to 1 week.
- To make iced tea, boil 16 cups water. Remove from heat and add tea bags. After 4 minutes, remove tea bags. Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Allow to cool; pour into large pitcher and chill.
- To make garnish: 1 large, ripe peach; sliced. Drizzle with honey and grill lightly to caramelize honey and get char marks. Set aside until needed (can be made a couple of hours in advance). For perfect lemon spiral garnish, select a ripe Meyer lemon; use a channeling knife (v-shaped edge) and firmly drag it around the lemon to create a long, thin spiral. Wrap spiral around a straw and set aside until needed, then slip the spiral off the straw into the drink
- Pour bourbon into glasses and top with iced tea (my preference is 1/2 bourbon ratio to 1/2 iced tea; mix to your own taste!). Serve with grilled fresh peach slices and lemon spiral.